Time : Three Hours
Max. Marks : 80
Notes : 1. All questions carry marks as indicated.
2. Solve Question 1 OR Questions No. 2.
3. Solve Question 3 OR Questions No. 4.
4. Solve Question 5 OR Questions No. 6.
5. Solve Question 7 OR Questions No. 8.
6. Solve Question 9 OR Questions No. 10.
7. Solve Question 11 OR Questions No. 12.
8. Due credit will be given to neatness and adequate dimensions.
9. Illustrate your answers whenever necessary with the help of neat sketches.
1. A) Explain the neat diagram following transmission media:- [09 M]
i) Coaxial cables
ii) Twisted pair cables
iii) Fibre optics.
B) Explain the concept of interfaces and services with the help of suitable diagrams. [05 M]
2. A) Explain in brief connection-oriented and connection less service with suitable example. [06 M]
B) List out the different problems in transmission lines. [04 M]
C) How does a layer ‘n’ interact with layer (n+1) and layer (n-1)? [04 M]
3. A) Discuss the polynomial method of error handing, CRC for the data given below:- [07 M]
P(x) = x7 + x6 + x 5+ x4 + x3 + x0
G(x) = x5 + x 4+ x2 + x1 + x0
B) What is CSMA protocol? Explain its features. Also explain 1-persistence and Non persistence protocol. [06 M]
4. A) Following table gives the 7 bit data code that is transmitted and received. Using Hamming code find the location of 1 bit error in the received code.
Assume even parity. [06 M]
B) Write short notes on error-detecting codes. [07 M]
5. A) Explain Distance vector Routing Algorithm. [05 M]
B) Discuss in brief about channel allocation problem in LANs and MANs. [04 M]
C) What is congestion? How is it significance of load scheduling and jitter control in congestion handling. [04 M]
6. A) Explain flooding routing algorithm giving the ways to restrict the number of duplicate packets generated. Also state its applications. [07 M]
B) Explain with suitable example OSPF and BGP. [06 M]
7. A) Explain Crash recovery in detail. [05 M]
B) Difference between Flow control and buffering. [05 M]
C) List all Quality of service (QOS) parameters used in transport Layer. [04 M]
8. A) Explain the various service primitives present on the transport layer. [05 M]
B) Explain deadlock in computer Network. Discuss any one method to handle deadlock in transport layer. [04 M]
C) How the connection establishment and realizing a connection can be obtained in Transport Layer. [04 M]
9. A) Give the error control and transition states in detail. [06 M]
B) Discuss the frame format of BOOTP and DHCP. [07 M]
10. A) Difference between FTP and TFTP. [05 M]
B) What is DNS. Explain it with example. [05 M]
C) Write short notes on BOOTP. [03 M]
11. A) Suggest that the security at the IP layer is same as Application layer security. [07 M]
B) Explain digital signature in detail. [06 M]
12. A) Justify your answer “Application Layer security is most important”. [03 M]
B) What is mobile IP. [05 M]
C) Explain the agents and three phases of Mobile IP. [05 M]